Friday, June 11, 2010

imagine




Sometimes art happens when you least expect it and with the most bizarre items.  I recently picked up the newest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, which happens to be my new favorite magazine, and fell in love with the cover art.  I decided I wanted one of my own and gathered up my box of scrap paper, an old sewing pattern, and some glue.  With a little direction from my four year old ("Put that there mom, no, RIGHT THERE,") I managed to create my very own recycled art! 

I began with a Huggies box - no joke!  I tore off the side and painted the brown side of the box, then began gluing down random pieces of left over scrapbook paper.  I took an old sewing pattern, tore it up and also glued it down.  (Hint:  look for the darts, telephones, and instructions on the pattern for a cool look.)  I used a little white paint over the top of everything to bring out the crinkles in the pattern. 



For the paper flowers I cut random stacking circles, drew on them with Sharpies, and stitched them together with floss and a button.  Then, I crinkled the edges to distress them, used a Sharpie to draw a stem, and stuck 'em down.  Once all the flowers were done, I punched three holes on the left and added ribbon, brads, and a butterfly embellished button.


It needed one more thing in the upper right corner to balance the ribbon, so I stamped the imagine stamp by Autumn Leaves with my Black Stazon Ink and colored it in with the new Blueberry Sharpie.



It is on the art wall in my house and I have to say for a recycled project using scraps and leftovers, I think it turned out pretty cute!  I wish you luck and hope this project inspires you to make something beautiful out of your junk!

3 comments:

  1. darling! really, really pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the way it turned out! really nice and looks like a lot of fun. visiting you from your blogflow link - i'll be back!

    ReplyDelete