Thursday, June 24, 2010

When old becomes new


I have this lovely craft room chair that was given to me ages ago when Kev and I first got married.  We call it the Catholic chair because it has a little kneeling bench on the backside and folds up just like extra chairs at church do.  I love it and plan to never part with it.  However, it was in desperate need of a makeover and I thought I should approach recovering this special chair with gusto. 

As every mom knows, Hobby Lobby is amazing, but not so much when you have three kids in tow.  As I made my way to the fabric section with a stroller full of three kids (yes, three - most amazing stroller ever), the Hobby Lobby crash began.  You see, my kids have an expiration when it comes to time spent in stores.  The commissary has a 45 minute expiration before they start in with the whining and crying.  Hobby Lobby is about 15 minutes.  I don't know why it's so little at the best places ever, but it is what it is.

So - we are in the fabric section and the meltdowns begin.  I find the most fantastic fabric ever and get it cut only to find out that is was mismarked and the fabric lady is not going to budge on the price.  The kids are crying, I am sweating at this point (99 degrees outside and a balmy 80 indoors and I have been pushing three kids in a stroller), and the lady is just looking at me with pity filled eyes.  I grab the fabric, run to the checkouts, begrudgingly hand over my money, and make it out the door with minimal yelling, only to have my four year old announce, "Thank God we are leaving Hobby Lobby!"  No joke!  I laughed out loud.  What else could I do?

Later in the week I finally got a moment to recover my beloved chair.  It was fairly simple - mostly removing screws, stretching some fabric, and using the staple gun.  It still needs some more staples, but I am having a hard time finding the right sized staples for my gun.  Apparently, I have the "girl" version of a stapler and have to go to a teeny tiny hardware shop to order my staples.  Oy!

After all was said and done, I took my new chair to the front yard to photograph and had a very curious two year old interested in trying it out.  She gave it her approval and I couldn't be happier!

The new and improved Catholic chair


Stella Bella gives it her approval

No comments:

Post a Comment