Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Well Begun is Half Done


I am a crafter. I paint, glue, smudge, ink, and distress just about anything I can. Blogging is not in my repertoire, but I was informed that if you are a somebody, and you wanna be a big time scrapbooker, you have a blog! So - for the two of you out there reading this - I am making an attempt to write creatively and post my newest projects and ideas. Here goes nothin'!

Recently, I have been in class, which takes up any time I might have left over after taking care of the kids, house, etc. Thankfully, I am in art school and have gotten the opportunity to take an actual art class. (In case any of you are considering art school, don't be disappointed when they require you to take math and chemistry before you actually get to make art). I have been studying Art Nouveau and the Arts and Crafts Movement from the early 1900s.

In an attempt to complete a previous project and come up with a creative idea to complete an assignment, I made a chair. Now - let me set the record straight - I bought a bare wooden chair from IKEA and painted it laboriously, put a few screws in place with the help of my four year old, and then poly coated the whole thing. I did not turn wooden spokes on a lathe or anything! This chair is for Connor - my 11 month old. It's too big for him, but he'll grow into it and I'll get some cute pictures out of the deal.

So the goal is to paint six chairs and make my table like the one in Monica Geller's apartment on Friends. My chairs are all the same, but will have new shiny paint in each family member's favorite colors. We shall see how this project unfolds...

No comments:

Post a Comment